Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

KIFL WIT Discussion 1 - 1/30 open topics preparation (Part 2)

Hello to all my 1st and 2nd period Discussion students,


Image "Conference Room" courtesy of Pixomar/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well and will be ready for next week's open class presentations. In this special post, I have some useful expressions that you can use when speaking in your talk

Please read this! This will help you in your preparation.

SOME USEFUL EXPRESSIONS
Using these expressions is called signposting - using words and phrases that signal to the audience how you introduce your subject, how you go to the next part of your talk, and so on. 

1. Introducing your subject
Thank you for your time today. I'd like to begin by...
First of all, I'll...
Starting with this point, I'll...
I'll begin with...

2. Ordering points or parts
First(ly)...second(ly)...third(ly)...last(ly)...
First...then...next...after that...finally...
To begin with...later...to finish up...

3. Finishing one point and starting a new point 
We've looked at...(now) let's turn to...
And that's this point...now I'd like to show you...
From here let's look at...

4. Giving examples
For example...
To give you an example...
A good example is...

5. Concluding your talk
I'd like to finish by saying...thank you for listening today.
Let me finish by saying...thank you for your time today.
To sum up...and that's all. Thank you for listening.

You don't have to use every one of these expressions! But for each part of your talk, you should use at least one of these expressions as you go along.

Here is my email address - washizoraATgmailDOTcom. Email me if you need any help or if you have any questions.

Good luck! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment