Welcome!

Welcome!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

KIFL English for the Hospitality Industry - 10/9 & 10 lessons review & passives sentence making

Hello to all my EH2 students,

How are you? Here are the lesson plans for 10/9:



And 10/10:

We will study more the passive form next week. What is the passive form? I will show you here:


The passive voice is used when we want to talk about an action. It is not important, or even known who or what is performing the action.

For example: I lost my Suica card. 

The focus is on the fact that my Suica card is lost. But - I don't know how it happened.
So I can say - My Suica card was lost.

Sometimes saying something in passive is more polite than in the active voice.

For example: A mistake was made.

In this case, I focus on the fact that a mistake was made, but I do not say that someone else did it (as in, "you have made a mistake").

So here is your homework to help you for next week (10/17). Change these sentences from the active voice to the passive:

ACTIVE                                                                    PASSIVE 
He left his keys on the table.His keys were left on      His keys were left on the table. 
She couldn't find her wallet. 
I forgot my bad feelings over time. 
They delivered the books to the room.
Someone uploaded software on some computers.
Some people protested the decision of the judge. 

Examples of passive sentences taken and modified from http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/passive

I hope these exercises help you. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment