Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, October 15, 2012

聖学院大学ECA (Speaking) II (All) 10/15 & 18 - many, much & a lot of

Hello all my Speaking II (All) students,

How are you? Let's review how to use manymuch and a lot of

MANY
Many is only used with countable nouns (可算名詞). For example:

__I have a book (= I have one book) - more than one book - so - I have many books.
__So...
   He has many CDs.
__There are many trees in the park.
__She has many students in her class. 

MUCH
Much is only used with uncountable nouns (不可算名詞). For example:

__I don't have much money today. (注意!NOT I don't have much moneys だよ!)

                (注意!NOT I don't have many money !)
   So...
__She can't drink very much alcohol.
__There isn't much butter in the fridge.
__We don't have much sugar in the kitchen.  

 *Much and many can be used as too much and too many:

__Our teacher gives us too much homework.
__Don't eat too many snacks.
__He drank too much beer last night. 
__There are too many cars on the road.

Image "Palloni Nel Cielo" courtesy of Idea go/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net
A LOT OF
A lot of is used with countable and uncountable nouns (どちでも可算不加算名詞を使う). It sometimes means "very many" or "very much." 

__I drink a lot of water every day.
__She saw a lot of balloons in the park.
__He will buy a lot of furniture for his new apartment. 
__Hiroko reads a lot of comic books on the train to school every week. 
__Steve Jobs made a lot of money at Apple. 

VIDEO REVIEW
Here's a short video about many, much and a lot of:


See you next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment