Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, October 8, 2012

芝浦工業大学英語総合1B 10/9 - review of much, many, a lot of

Hello to all my Eigo Sogo students,

How are you today? Here's a review on how to use much, many and a lot of

MUCH

Much is used only with uncountable nouns. For example:

__I don't have much money today. 

__I can't remember how much alcohol I drank last night.
__There isn't much bread left for dinner.
__How much sugar do we have? 

MANY


Many is used only with countable nouns. For example:

__I have many books at home.
__I don't know how many CDs I have in my room.
__There are many trees in the park near the school.
__How many girls are there in this class?

 *Much and many can be used as too much and too many:

__Our teacher gives us too much homework.
__I ate too many sweets this afternoon, and now I'm not hungry for dinner.
__He drank too much beer last night, and this morning he woke up feeling sick. 
__There are too many cars on the roads these days.

A LOT OF
Image "Palloni Nel Cielo" courtesy of Idea go/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net

A lot of is used with both uncountable and countable nouns. We sometimes use it to mean "very many" or "very much." 

__I drank a lot of water yesterday.
__She saw a lot of balloons at the festival.
__We bought a lot of furniture for our new apartment last week. 
__They carried a lot of books to class in their backpacks yesterday. 
__Steve Jobs made a lot of money from Apple, didn't he?

*When we talk about something more than "very many" or "very much," we could also use lots of, and for even more than thatlots and lots of:

__I have lots of books at home.
__She has lots of software she's uploaded to her computer.
__He was so popular in high school that he had lots of girlfriends.
__Bill Gates has made lots and lots of money in his career. 
__There are lots and lots of young people in Shibuya on the weekends.

VIDEO REVIEW
If you would like another review, here's a great short video for you:


I hope this helps you to understand and use much, many and a lot of better

See you next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment