Welcome!

Welcome!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

電気通信大学 AWE II: Sample composition on writing on a piece of music・音楽のことの例え作文

Hello! 



How are you? In this post, I will show a sample composition on writing about a piece of music. This is further support for our 5th writing assignment on works of art and pieces of music.

If you would like to refresh yourself on the other supporting posts about this writing assignment, click here and here


Because space and time will only let me show one example, I will show an example about a piece of music. I choose an example about music because by comparison, writing about music may be at least a little more challenging - but there are things in this example that can be useful for writing about a work of art as well. 


I will note in each part of the writing what the purpose of the part is - what the introduction is, what part is about the instruments and dynamics of sound, what the music expresses to me, what kind of scenario or story comes to mind when I hear it, and a conclusion with a two-sided argument in it. 


Here is the example. This will be about the following piece of music - Frank Zappa's "Little Umbrellas":




Introduction
This short piece is called "Little Umbrellas," and it is by the American rock musician and classical composer Frank Zappa. It comes from his 1969 album Hot Rats. In my reaction and understanding about this music, I will show what I found interesting about it, what I feel he was trying to express in it, and what comes to my mind when I listened to it. In the end, I will argue for what its strengths are - and what it may still lack.

First main point - instruments and dynamics of sound

To begin with, my immediate reaction was one of both charm and strangeness. It features no guitar, which is unusual for a rock musician, and especially for the 1960s when he first wrote it. But he was also a classical composer, and he creates some great energy for a short piece of music - organ, flutes, and violin, backed with a double bass, piano, and drums. Its charm comes in the mix of instruments, with a lot of bright, sunny notes and a complicated but lively melody. The music itself feels like a mix of a small classical ensemble, a jazz group, and with a rock organ. The instruments, however, do not play the roles we might expect them to do - the rock-style organ does not overpower the other instruments, and plays bright notes in a range and in harmony with the flutes and violin. In fact, to my ears, the flutes and violin dominate the organ - they take the lead in the melody. When we imagine flutes and violins, we often think they are delicate instruments with gentle sounds. Yet here, they carry the melody strongly. In addition, the bass and drums swing, almost in a jazz style, yet are forceful and give a solid ground and contrast to the delicacy of the flutes and violins.  

Second main point - what the music expresses

The title is a hint as to what I feel Zappa might have been trying to express, and the character of the instruments he chose for it might also give a musical picture of the title. In calling it "Little Umbrellas," he might have been trying to show some kind of everyday objects - in this case, a collection of umbrellas - but with a feeling of charm about it. There is something ordinary about an umbrella, but he tries here to show a gentle feeling toward it. This might be the reason he chose such a bright melody that would highlight this feeling. 

Third main point - a scenario or story the music suggests

When I listened to it more, I get an image in my mind of a strange but kind man, in a field that might be the backyard of his house, or perhaps in the country, growing strange things from the ground. I see deep but not sad colors - lots of reds, pinks, perhaps with some cream colors, and maybe some white here and there, and they could be the things he is trying to grow in his funny garden. But it isn't clear to me what they are. They could be flowers, or vegetables, or things there are no names for. I also imagine asking him what he grows, and hearing him explaining what they are, but not understanding anything he says. For all I know, maybe they are even little umbrellas! I see the sky above him and it turns a light blue, then pink, then cream, and I realize that they are the same colors of the things he is growing. 

Conclusion with a two-sided argument

An image like this makes the music unique, and I will argue that the charm and strangeness of the music makes it worth listening to, even though it has a complex melody and dynamic harmonies. It is not what most people would expect in rock, and has qualities that people who listen to classical music or jazz might appreciate. I like it, though I also know it might not be easy for people to listen to who expect that rock music should only have guitars, or a heavy electric bass rhythm with a dominant pattern. This might be its weakness, because it isn't really rock, or jazz, or classical, but a mixture that is difficult for some people to classify.  This might keep some people from listening to it. But to me, it is unique enough for me not to mistake it for any other kind of music, or to mistake Frank Zappa for anyone else.   

I hope this can help you with your writing and organization of ideas for our latest writing assignment on art or music


Take care!



Image: Personal photograph. All rights reserved. 
Video uploaded from YouTube. I do not own the rights to the video file or the musical composition within it. All rights reserved to the copyright holders of the video file and the musical composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment