Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

KIFL Senka Global Studies & Business Communications Skills ・June 6 GS mid-term short presentations & BCS lesson plan & extra notes on presenting

Hello to all my Senka students,

Otsukaresamadeshita to you on your presentations from last week in BCS and today in GS!

Overall, I was very impressed with you especially today in GS! Your topics were interesting and challenging, and I can't wait to see what you will try out with your final presentations. I'm proud of you and happy with what you did.  Great work from all of you!

Here's the lesson plan and board notes today for the 6/6 BCS class:


My apologies for the bottom part of the photo getting cut off like this. I don't know what happened! But we will continue with this next week (6/13). The handout I gave you today about instructions - we'll do the omelette-making process as our activity in the BCS class next week.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT - BUT RELATED:
This is a reposting from my earlier post today for my Tuesday-Wednesday English for the Hospitality Industry class. They also did short mid-term presentations this week and will do final presentations at the end of the semester. Let me share with you what I said to them today. 

Here are some extra comments for all of you about final presentation thinking, planning and research:

1. START PUTTING KEY WORDS AND PHRASES ON INDEX CARDS.  This will help your ability to ad-lib and be more flexible with yourself in your presentation speaking style.


2. TAKE CARE OF VOCABULARY & PRONUNCIATION - AND 3. FACT-CHECK ON ANY STATISTICAL INFORMATION (see below). While many English words are in Japanese, you have to take care to pronounce such words in a natural English pronunciation style - for example, studio instead of スタジオ.

In addition - for information on dates, names, sales figures and such (in business) - do some extra fact-checking even for things you may not say the first time in a presentation but that may come up in a Q&A session after the talk.


4. RESEARCH COMPLETELY IN THE LANGUAGE YOU WILL PRESENT IN.  I can't say enough about how important this really is. It will help you think more in the language of your presentation to research in it, and help you get smoother with it.



Take a look at these anytime you like.  Once again - good job - and see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment