Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, October 9, 2017

電気通信大学 ASE & AWE II: Welcome back! お帰りなさい!

Hello! 



How are you? Welcome back to all the classes for the second semester! Many of you are continuing with me, and I'm happy to have you back for the new term. But for those who are new to my classes - I'm happy to have new faces too! 

Let me show you some things from my summer. The map above shows Perth, Australia. It's the largest city on the west coast of Australia, and the fourth-largest city in Australia, after Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. While I was born in the U.S., I grew up in Perth, and I went back there from September 6th-16th to see my brother, who still lives there, and his family, plus my cousin. 

I had a great time and many experiences, and there were some memories for me. Here's one thing I won't forget. Take a look at this picture!




As you can see, I am feeding a nice little kangaroo! My cousin has friends who own a bed and breakfast hotel in a small town south of Perth, and we went there to see them. On their property around the hotel, they have all kinds of animals, including four pet kangaroos, and they let me pet and feed one of them. 


But I saw many things like this, off the southeast coast, that I hadn't seen before: 


If you look a little to the left of the picture, directly ahead, far in the distance, you will go to Antarctica, all the way to the South Pole! This is not so far from where my cousin lives!

Now here are a few shots of the Hay Street Mall, one of the most famous locations in Perth. It's like a Ginza for Perth, with shops, cafes, and restaurants: 



This was the entrance to the Piccadilly Theater, a movie theater I went to sometimes when I was a child. It doesn't show movies anymore, but it is such a famous building that the Perth city government  kept the front and outside of the theater and made it a shopping arcade! 

There are many old buildings that have been kept well along the Hay Street Mall, like this one:




 Plus this one as well:



Here is a shot of the Perth skyline - not a very good one, but the best I could get! It was unfortunately a cloudy day when I could get this picture.



There are many more things I could show you, but this post could get very long, and I don't want to be boring to all of you! So how about your summer? Let's talk and write about what we did, and anything that we learned, over the summer. (I learned some things I didn't know over this summer. How about you?)

It's great to be back and I'm glad to see all of you. Take care! 


See you next class! 

Images: Top - screenshot of image by NordNordWest - own work, using United States National Imagery and Mapping Agency data World Data Base II data, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4811950/All other images - personal photographs. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment