Welcome!

Welcome!

Thursday, December 15, 2016

ECA (英語基礎表現) II (Super A): 作文6の附記、サポート

Hello!


How are you? Here is more support for our 6th writing assignment (作文6) about the people affected by the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami in the Tohoku.

While we read and hear about refugees coming to Europe from the Middle East (中東), in a way Japan has its own refugees - the people affected by the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami in the Tohoku.

It has been over five years since then, and many people in Fukushima, and other parts of the Tohoku, have still not recovered. Many are still living in temporary housing and are not able to go back to where they were living in the areas that were affected, while some have left the area and are living in other parts of Japan.

Characterization (性格描写)
For the 6th writing assignment, one thing I'd like you to do is to characterize (特徴付けて) yourselves as people in the Tohoku who experinced the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Below are some examples of characterization about a related theme on refugees (難民) my Super A students did two years ago. Take a look at these as great examples for you to think about in your characterizations about the experiences in the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami:


I am in the hospital now. Because I undergo an examination to go to Japan. Not only me but also my family undergo it. In other words, my family and I are doing to move Japan. My family is my father, mother and one sister. Only I haven’t finished an examination yet. I’m afraid of an injection. I wish I’m not injected.

Moving to Japan is sad. Because we are leaving our hometown soon. Also I must make my farewells to my friends. I don’t know when we can meet again. I received letters and pictures from my friends yesterday. They are my important treasures. Although leaving my hometown is sad very much, I am looking forward to living Japan. I think Japan is a beautiful country, I want to learn Japanese culture and I’m interested in Japanese. Japan seems a fun country. However I have a question. “Is Japan a beautiful country?” I have been told about Japan from my parents. “Wars aren’t happened in Japan. Japanese environment is good and Japan is a developed country. But there are some troubles even Japan. They are relations to other countries, political problems, homeless and so on.” Although it’s difficult for me to understand them, I’ll learn about them.

Here's another: 

 

I feel very depressed at this moment on the boat. I usually don't get sea-sick, but I feel like I'm about to throw up. Too many people on one boat. I see some girls crying, grabbing mother's sleeves. Some adults are singing the national anthem for not to forget our mother country. I didn't want to leave my country. I asked my girlfriend, well, mu 'ex' girlfriend to come with me, but she said "no". Here I am. Standing on the boat with my pals, sharing our least moist cigarettes. 

Few of my pals are very pumped up and excited to go to Japan, but I'm not. Is it because of my ex, or my anti-fish feeling? I don't know. I guess I'd have to start very slowly to get used to new cultures. I'm feeling melancholic. I don't care how my life's going to be. I don't mind living in the city or country. I don't mind living with ten other people in one tiny room. My only wish is only her. Oh boy…I can't swim. 

Here's one more:

 File:Evstafiev-travnik-refugees.jpg

I’m 76 years old now. That story is when I was 40 years old. My wife is gone, because my wife was dead by war. I’m so sad and I can’t live without the wife. But I have to live. So I escaped my country seven years ago. I saving money now, because I’m hoping to go to Japan, and I want to have private business. I have two children, who is one boy and one girl. My job is making traditional things. So I want to know a lot of people that what kind of my job and what is the traditional things. My country’s traditional things are textile and ceramic ware. It is my pride to make traditional things. I go to unknown country called Japan and want to spread this traditional quality.

When I was 40 years old, I got a visa to go to Japan at last. Children were delight with me, but we were full of uneasiness. We tanked people who were taken care of so far and on the day to go to Japan, went to the airport. We boarded an airplane. When we arrived at Japan at the first time, it was very cold and it snowed in winter. We were so surprised because we saw snow for the first time. There was our house in the place called Azabu. There was the town which was quiet and seemed to be safe. When we opened the shop, Japanese people were interested in and they saw it. Article and we. Five years later, I thought Japanese people is so kind but introverted and so negative. Some people is positive but almost negative. But now, we are used to life in Japan and live happily. We love Japan. My job and life is success!!

Special note about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant disaster (福島第一原子力発電所事故
To give you some more background that might help you with your writing, here is a video produced in the U.S. in 2011 after the 3/11 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami about the health risks from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant disaster.

In 1979, in the U.S., a nuclear power plant in the eastern U.S. called Three Mile Island had what was the worst nuclear accident in U.S. history. The plant had to be closed. This video is in part about the Three Mile Island disaster, but then goes into the Fukushima nuclear accident. It's in English, but with Japanese subtitles (字幕).

It's a little long, but watch this video. The subtitles are good, but watch the video more than once - or as many times as you need:


Please remember - the deadline for our 6th writing assignment is next week (12/22).

Good luck! 

Image: Top - by Tamaki Seto - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17307607/
Boy - from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asylbewerber_-_15.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Asylbewerber_-_15.jpg/Boat - from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Refugees_on_a_boat.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Refugees_on_a_boat.jpg /People - from - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Evstafiev-travnik-refugees.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Evstafiev-travnik-refugees.jpg
All images courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Video uploaded from YouTube. I do not own the rights to this video. Uploaded for educational purposes only. All rights reserved to the copyright holder(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment