Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

ECA (英語基礎表現) I (Super A): andとbutの使う

Hello!



How are you? Today we'll look at how to use and or but in sentences. 

How to use and 
We use and to connect short sentences when we have two or more of the same, similar, or continuing (続いて) conditions. 

例えば:The mountains are high. They are cold. 
             The mountains are high and cold. 

例えば:Many people in the past had hard lives. They had little money. 
例えば:Many people in the past had hard lives and little money.  
例えば:
How to use but
We use but to connect short sentences when we have two or more different, or contrasting (対比的) conditions.  

例えば:August days in Tokyo are so hot. The nighttimes can be much nicer. 
             August days in Tokyo are so hot, but the nighttimes can be much nicer.

例えば:I really want to go snowboarding this winter with my friends. I have no money.
例えば:I really want to go snowboarding this winter with my friends, but I have no money.

How to use and with but
We can use and with but in longer sentences where we have a gathering of same or similar conditions with a different or contrasting condition, or conditions. 

例えば:My university life is new. It is busy. I am making a lot of friends. 
例えば:My university life is new and busy, but I am making a lot of friends. 

例えば:The river is cold. It is deep when the winter snow melts. It is perfect for fishing. 
例えば:The river is cold and deep when the winter snow melts, but is perfect for fishing. 

Activity
Work with a partner or a group. Use and or but, or and with but, in the following sentences:

1. I went on a date. I had a great time. 

2. My class schedule is so busy. I have homework in every class. 

3. I try hard to do my math homework. I fall asleep every time.

4. He enjoyed his piece of chocolate cake. He felt sick later.

5. Yoshiyuki likes surfing in summer. He goes to the Shonan area whenever he can.

6. Misaki doesn’t like math. So does Haruka. They both enjoy English.

7. Yuko is taking a writing class. Her friend Mina is one of her classmates. The teacher makes them sit at separate desks in the classroom.

8. He was tired. He went to bed early. She stayed up late. She was sleepy in the morning. 

Have fun! 

Image: Personal photograph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment