Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

ECA (英語基礎表現) I (Super A): アンケートの答え

Hello!



How are you? Today, I will answer some of your questions about me on your surveys.

Why did I become a teacher? 
Some of you asked me about why I became a teacher. Well, my best friend in the U.S. is a high school art teacher, but before he became a high school teacher, he taught English in Poland for two years. I traveled with him in the summer of 1995 to eastern Europe, right before he started his job, and we went to Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary. I had to return to the U.S. while he had more time to travel, so we said goodbye in this place - Debrecen, Hungary:



He was a great inspiration to me as a friend and teacher, and I decided that if he could do this, I could do. So I did! In 1997, I had a chance to come to Japan to teach. I have now lived here for 18 years! 

Do I have any brothers or sisters? 
Some of you asked if I had any brothers or sisters. Yes I do! I have one older brother and one older sister. In those old pictures I showed on my blogpost before, here they are:



The boy on the left is my older brother Darryl, and the girl is my older sister, Sandra, who I have call "Sis." The man was my father. This is a very old picture, taken in 1954. I wasn't born yet! The seal on it, with the signature, was because it was a passport photo. 

My father had U.S. citizenship (アメリカの国籍), but my brother and sister were born in Australia, so they had two citizenships - Australian and U.S. So to show their right to U.S. citizenship, and because they were to young to have their own passports yet, their pictures were on my father's passport. 

What's my dog's name? 
One or two of you also asked me about my dog's name. It's Freddie, and here he is:



I love this picture! But since I also have three cats, I will show them to you too. Here they are:

下に読み続いて:



The one at the top is Pepper. The gray one in the middle is Sesame, his sister, and the one at the bottom is Czerny (ツェルニー). "Czerny," in the Polish and Czech languages, is the color black. (「ツェルニー」はポーランド語とチェコ語に「黒」。)  I love having them around too!

If any of you have studied piano, you will know that Czerny was also the name of the piano teacher who made the Czerny piano lesson exercises for studying and practicing piano music. He was from Austria, but he had a Czech family name, because Czerny is also a family name. (If you want to know about Czerny the piano teacher, click on this link here.) 

What musicians do I recommend? 
One person asked me what musicians I recommend. Well, I have many! Here's one that some of you may know, even though he is before your time - Stevie Wonder. Here is a video of him, when he was younger, in the 1970s, with one of his greatest songs - "Superstition":


I also really like this British singer, who died almost four years ago - Amy Winehouse:


She was a great talent who died too young. 

But I love this next singer. Maybe you have never heard of her - especially because she died in 1997, the year some of you were born. But I hope you check her out and hear her - Laura Nyro. She was a great American singer-songwriter, from New York. Here is one of her songs. Listen to it and tell me what you think:


I also like jazz and rock. In jazz, this is one of my favorite musicians - a great composer (作曲家) and saxophonist, Wayne Shorter:



He is over 80 years old now, but he is probably the greatest living jazz musician. 


As far as rock goes, I like all kinds, so it's difficult for me to choose! So I will show one thing I like. Do any of you know this band? They're not so big in Japan, but are very big in North America, Europe, and South America, especially Brazil -  a great Canadian band, Rush:  


They have really great and interesting lyrics to their songs. 

I have many more things to say, but for now I will stop. This post might get too long! But I hope these things show you more about me.

I hope to get to know all of you better too. See you later!


Images: Top, family & pet pictures - personal photos/Town square - "Debrecen town square" by Jerzy Kociatkiewicz - originally posted to Flickr as Debrecen town square. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Debrecen_town_square.jpg#/media/File:Debrecen_town_square.jpg/
All rights reserved on personal photos. 
All videos uploaded from YouTube. I do not own the rights to these videos. All rights reserved to the copyright holders. Uploaded for educational purposes only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment