Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

週7~10 - ECA (英語基礎表現) II (Super A): writing about music (Part 1)

Hello,



How are you? Do you remember the four pieces of music I played for you in class? We'll do something more with them now! This is a Part 1 post - Part 2 will follow.

I would like you to go through your paragraphs about those pieces of music, and listen to the first two pieces of music again - and this time to click on some videos of the first two artists whose pieces of music I played. I also have information links you can click on about these artists. 

Would these video images, and reading about these musicians, change your ideas about what you wrote? 


First - below is a link about the first piece of music you heard - Jacques Loussier and his version of J.S. Bach's "Siciliano in G Minor."  


Click here for a video clip of Jacques Loussier and this Bach piece I played for you in class. 


If you want to know more about Jacques Loussier, click here for a Wikipedia article (in Japanese) about him. 


Next - here is the second piece of music you heard - Ronny Jordan and his song "After Hours." 


Click here for a video clip of Ronny Jordan playing the music I played for you in class. 


If you want to know more about Ronny Jordan, click here also for a Wikipedia article (in Japanese) about him. 


What do you think of these musicians? Does seeing the artists' pictures or some image connected to the music, or reading about them on Wikipedia, change your own images of the music? 
Write comments on this blog post about what you think!

Hope you enjoyed listening to them again.


See you next time!



Image: "On The Stage" courtesy of George Stojkovic/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

15 comments:

  1. I was surprised about the first song was based on Bach's piece. I like Jacques Loussier and Miles Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised about the first song was based on Bach's piece. I like how Jacques Loussier arranged the music. Miles Davis is always my favorite artist. He's a legend of jazz. I enjoyed listening to all those four music. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked these! Jacques Loussier has made a career out of rendering jazz versions of Bach's pieces.

      Did you already know Miles Davis? I thought I had succeeded in selecting music no-one in the class would ever had heard! But I'm glad you know him and that you like his music.

      Delete
  3. I did't know all artists and also music, but these are interesting for me. Because in the class, I just listening music, but now my images are little changed when I read this blog. I wrote about Jacques Loussier's music and Ronny Jordan's music. I liked him piano in particular. Also I enjoyed this homework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hana - glad you liked this too! My goal was to select things no-one knew about, or if at all, would know little about.

      Ronny Jordan died at the beginning of this year, in January. I didn't know about this until a few months ago. The last time I checked his Wikipedia page in English, it still didn't say how he died. He was born the same year I was, so it's sad that he died still young (yes! at my age, I still think I'm young!).

      Delete
  4. Actually,I like all of them.I think the second music sounds like Irish folk music. New age is Irish folk music style ,and it mix some morden melody ,I just guess. It sounds very nice.The first one is also great,it can bring me into the never land and dream land,that's nearly make me fainted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish folk music...hmm, that's an interesting impression! I wouldn't have thought of that hearing it the very first time I did, but that's okay! Its repetitious rhythm does kind of put you in that never-never land. Good comment!

      Delete
  5. Hello, I am Hirofumi. That class was my first time that I listened to those music, but I like them at once. Especially Ronny Jordan's. Its relaxed sound of instruments and rhythm are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I like a variety of music and this one has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Great comment!

      Delete
  6. Hello,I am Du yanying.
    I'd like the third one.As if I saw a singer is playing the guitar in the underground passage.He looked very lonely.But he still immerse himself in the music.Because he loved music and enjoy it.Maybe he imaged that he would be a super star one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good comment En! Miles Davis always had that image of being out there on his own, so maybe you could feel that feeling from the music too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. sorry. this is test. so not comment. by your class student

      Delete
  9. Hello. I'm Yui.
    I listened to these musics again. I love first music!! Sound of piano is very beautiful!! I didn't know only these musics but also artists. I listened to the music of Jacques Loussier. He is jazz pianist. Juzz is difficult to play but that melody and rhythm are interesting so I love. Of cause other artists and musics are good but possibly my interest faces 1 music and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. I'm Kyosuke.
    I listened to these musics. I like the second music than the first music. Because, I can calm down and I think time seems to stop.When I listened, the various scenes occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete