Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, May 16, 2011

星薬科大学薬学英語 I 火曜日1時限・2時限・special Q&A post about me (Part 1)

Hello to all my Pharm Eng students,

I'm posting a special message here for you. So far, I have been very happy and glad to have you as my students. You've been trying hard in the classes and you've been making great effort. I'm proud of all of you! I hope I am doing as good a job being your teacher.

But I've done a bad job learning and remembering your names. I'm sorry! I've been going through your pre-teaching surveys trying to remember your names and faces. So, to help me try to start learning your names, I'll answer the questions many of you asked me on the surveys here. To start...

YUKARI YAKAWA (2nd period) - you asked me the meaning of my name. While I talked about this in our first class, I'll repeat it here:

Lee (is an English name) - it means a natural place in a forest where there are no trees, but a flat area with grass that's a comfortable place for animals or travelers to rest.

Arnold (English & German) - comes from the base meaning of "eagle" (in German, Adler), "flight" and "sky," so it means something like "to fly like an eagle."

SUMIRE KOBAYASHI (1st period) & SAORI MOCHIZUKI (2nd period) - you both asked about what I did over the spring holiday.

Well, over the spring holiday, nothing much. I was very nervous as the holiday was finishing because I was starting at Hoshi and was hoping to make a good impression! And over Golden Week, my wife had to work, so I stayed home and cleaned our house, and organized my desk, files, and teaching materials. It was kind of boring, but it also felt good afterwards to have a clean house and organized things! (How about the both of you? What did you do over GW?)

CHISATO SAKAIDA (1st period) & MARIE MORI, HITOMI NISHINO & HIRONORI HIRAOKA (2nd period) - you asked questions about sports I have played, or like.

Chisato, Marie & Hironori - sports I've played and liked: of course, I'm from the U.S. As a child, however, I grew up in Australia, and I loved Australian rules football (オジボール). But I also like baseball sometimes, and the Winter Olympics, especially ice hockey. (Hironori - you say you like basketball. Do you have a favorite NBA or bj-league team?)

Hitomi - you're the manager of the Hoshi kendo club, and you asked me if I have played kendo.

Well, no I haven't. But it looks very interesting. I have a friend at the Tokyo Yakkadaigaku, an American who is a 5-dan in kendo (本当に!).

NANASE SHITARA (1st period) - you asked me where I was during the March 11th earthquake.

My wife was home, but I was on my way to a dental appointment. I was on the Yurakucho line, but I didn't make it to the clinic. I had to walk home to Nerima, and it took me almost four hours. (How about you? Were you and your mum hurt or was anything damaged in your house?)

NORIKO KAMIKAWA (2nd period) - you asked me how old I was, and you guessed I was 42.

Well, thank you! But I'm 49.

RINA KYOGOKU, SHUHEI ARAI, YUKI SAKANISHI & ARISA SUZUKI (1st period) & DAISUKE TAKAYAMA (2nd period) - you all asked about my favorite foods, and if I prefer Japanese or American.

Well, I love Japanese dishes! My favorite is unagi. I also really like nikujaga, koroke, tempura and sukiyaki, plus good sushi and sashimi. (How about all of you? What are your favorite dishes?).

Daisuke - you asked a unique question about ramen shops in Kashiwa, in Chiba. You remembered that I used to live there.

Well, I haven't been to any of the places you said. Sorry! But I think you know ramen well, and know the difference between good ramen and bad!

This is Part 1. More Q&A in a Part 2 post will follow soon. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment